Friday, January 8, 2010

Cool stuff!!


The purpose of today's blog is to find cool stuff about the Native American and African cultures we have been studying in Music for Diverse Cultures. I searched specifically for Navajo music. I found this site. Not only does it have commentary, shows traditional dwellings, and practices, but it also has some great examples of music and dances. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvUqDkhYpYA

I also found this site ( http://www.teachervision.fen.com/native-americans/resource/7427.html ) that is great for teachers. This site is cool because if you are planning to teach your music class about native american music, you can use this site for free.

This site has everything you would need to teach the lesson, however many days you would want to spread it out. You pick what grade you will teach it to, and the site gives you grade appropriate material. You then pick your subject, the site gives you specific themes. You are even provided a tab full of printable items such as lesson plans, graphic organizers, activities, and reading resources. There's even a tab to help with classroom management and a calendar to help you map out your lesson plans.

I looked up African music also. I found several sights that lead to youtube.come but I figured i had one of those on here already, so I wouldn't put another one. I am trying to find something REALLY exciting to add. And here it is! http://www.kinderart.com.multic.dumbek.shtml/

This site gives you step by step instructions on how to make an African drum in the classroom. It is for grades 4-12 or ages 8 and up. With a simple carpet tube (which can be found at any carpet and flooring store, that would normally be thrown away anyway) an embroidery hoop, an inflatable pool toy, masking tape, paint, and a plastic flower pot, you can make an African drum. Not only will you look smart for knowing how to do this, but you kids will totally enjoy themselves! And, once completed, they have something to keep forever. That is until they wear it out LOL!

5 comments:

  1. It is very interesting that most native american music is accompanied by work. In other words, songs are sung while working,etc. The step by step instructions of how to make your own drum in class is a really clever idea. I'm sure young children would have a blast and really enjoy making something they could keep for a long time. The parent's might hate you for giving there kid a loud instrument:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the information on how to teach the African drum to an Elementary class would work really well. You know kids are always fasinated by foreign things and this would really keep their attention and be something they would really enjoy learning about. I might even try and get one for when I start teaching, like when we went to MENC last year and played the drums. That was so much fun and a good learning tool for younger kids. :) I'm glad you found this. I enjoyed reading your blog thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The information on how to teach the African drum to Elementary classes was really great. If you are looking to to teaching Elementary school I would see if you can create the class for them. You know how little kids love to beat on anything and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I love that you were able to upload photos!! My favorite cool stuff site you shared was ( http://www.teachervision.fen.com/native-americans/resource/7427.html ) What an extremely helpful site for teachers! I am one of the few Education majors in the class, and I am very pleased with this website--such a great tool! Free printables, lesson plans, age/grade apprpriate, you could not ask for much more! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the first site, Krystal--within the first minute, we've already been able to see a hogan and been introduced to the concept of Work Song, two things we've discussed in class. And I can see how the second site could be very, very useful in teaching school.

    I couldn't get your third link to work, though. Be sure to double-check your links both before and after you post them--sometimes weird things can creep in.

    ReplyDelete