Friday, January 15, 2010

LATIN AMERICA



Latin America includes the Caribbean. When I hear the word Caribbean, the first thing that comes to mind is Johnny Depp LOL. And when I hear the word Calypso I think of Calypso the Goddess in Pirates of the Caribbean. Sorry, I love Pirates of the Caribbean.





I found this site that is a lesson plan for teaching about Caribbean music. Calypso music to be exact. It can be taught from kindergarten to twelfth grade, just adjusted for each one.


http://cnx.org/content/m11688/latest/


The site comes complete with the National Music standards and National Social Standards that are met in the lesson. It tells you the materials you will need. There's also an extra section at the bottom that tells you how to make some of the percussion instruments.





I am adding this site to compliment the previous one, so everyone can hear some calypso music.


this first one is just showing you the different sounds a calypso drum can make he goes through the chromatics, and then plays a song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0LXPnmk1aY


this second one is an actual Caribbean steel drum orchestra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34yWsCg2HY



This last site is a teaching tool like the first one. This one is interactive, though. You can take a test with it. It tells you which country to locate on the map, and you click on it. You get points for choosing the correct one. You can even ask for a hint if you need it. Although, its not much of a hint, seeing as it actually shows you the answer. LOL!
http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/Samerica.html

5 comments:

  1. Ok well this is the third time I have tried to comment on your blog, but here goes AGAIN! :) I enjoyed your videos, especially the two about the Calypso drum. I went to a music camp at USC while in high and they had a group come and perform on these drums. It was so neat listening and seeing the different sounds the men made by hitting the drum a certain way and with different objects: their hands, mallets, all sorts of things. I would love to just play around on one day and see how neat it really is by actually trying it out. I really enjoyed your cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Calypso music.:) I love pirates of the Caribbean. When i saw this i got so happy. I really like your first website, it would be very valuable to have for a drumming teacher, or maybe even a general music teacher. I love the link to the you tube page. You must really like Calypso music huh Krystal? Well the music is very entertaining:) i love it.Lastely the map would be a good tool for teaching the areas of South America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just loved the Calypso drum. It reminded me of the MENC Conference last year. The map was a great tool and will help if anyone wants to teach about this music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like steel drums. So, the steel drum ensembles were really neat.

    The map would be a great teaching tool. I couldn't get the lesson plan to come up, but I'm sure it was awesome. It sounds like a great idea. Yay for Music Ed majors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Calypso drum has an awesome sound! Everytime I hear it I want to go to Jamaica and see my Big Sis! And that's cool how you posted the lesson plan on teaching Caribbean music!

    ReplyDelete