Monday, January 18, 2010

music and gender















Pics from left to right: (1) of course, the two best female trumpeters in the world, Wanda and I LOL (2) Alison Balsom -classical artist (3)Ingrid Jensen-Jazz artist (4)Leisl Whitaker- lead trumpet in the Army Blues Jazz Band. These women are my inspiration. Playing the trumpet today, is better than the old days. Back in the day, you didn't see many female trumpet players. But, today, you have Alison Balsom, Ingrid Jensen, Susan Slaughter, Judith Saxton, and Leisl Whitaker, and many more I have not named. It was always hard for me in high school. There weren't many female trumpet players where I went. The soloist was ALWAYS a guy, so I wasn't sure if I would ever get to be fortunate enough to play solos. However, I started marching band in the eighth grade, so I had a five years to try. My first year of marching band, this guy named Johnny was the soloist, and after he graduate, in my ninth grade year, it was Kevin. Then, he graduated, and we had auditions for chairs. I was ecstatic, I got first chair from then on. I was the trumpet soloist, and I had a blast!! I loved marching on the field, playing my solo, then dropping my hat to salute, and surprising people that I was a girl instead of a guy. I gained a lot of respect from the rest of the brass section. I thoroughly enjoyed my marching band, jazz band, symphonic band, and concert band years.





NOW, let's talk about the present. I graduated high school in 1997, so I am a 31 undergrad student finishing up my music education degree. I will be done in December of 2011. It is really hard for me in Wind Ensemble, because I feel like the guys get first chair, and the girls get stuck at the end, well except for Homer, he just likes to play the lowest part, lol. We audition, so I'm not saying its not fair. I just feel like they may have gotten more attention throughout the years. I know I'm in the chair I deserve, I'm not trying to say I should be higher, they are better than me. I'm saying I think the reason they are better than me is because their high school band directors and beyond cared more about their future than mine did. They knew these men would take their career as a trumpet player further. Since I am female it was just assumed that I would become a teacher, or work in an office, or be a nurse, or just have a family, and not take my trumpet skills any further. The sad truth is, the assumption was CORRECT. I graduated high school, went a year of college for music education and got married. I went another year of college, then had my first child. He is now ten. I had my second child, she is now 9. I tried to go back to school over the years, but my ex-husband finished school, and I was just expected to stay home and take care of the house and kids. Then, I had my third child, he is now 5. I got separated while I was pregnant with him, and divorced shortly after he was born. I spent the next four years working for temp agencies in offices, assisted living homes, and fast food (they typical female jobs). Then, my children reminded me how much music once meant to me, and I got off my tail and came back to school! So, here I am. And now, I would like to say that you don't see many men going back to school and finishing a full-time music education degree while they are a single parent, and have to work too. GO WOMEN!! YAYA!

No comments:

Post a Comment