Wednesday, January 13, 2010

MUSIC AND RELIGION

I was brought up Baptist, even though I don't attend a church now, I am still and always will be Christian. I don't have a church that I belong to, but I do play at a couple throught the year. On Easter, I play at one of the Converse College Professor's church, and for their fall concert, I play at Anderson Mill Baptist Church. I believe music is an important part of religion. All religinos have some form of music or other that ties into the worship. Being Baptist, we always sang from the hymnals, and sometimes other books that were specifically for the choir when I was in it. I don't like singing, so that didn't last long. What I mean to say is, I don't like to hear myself sing. Ilike the music in church, especially when we would have homecoming week and we would haev special guests all week long. Some of the groupls that came helped inspire everyone to have more faith, or just have enough faith to carry out each day. Music is so important in church (Baptist anyway) that it would not be anormal Sunday morning, evening, or Wednesday night with it. I can't imagine just sitting there listening the whole time to the preacher give his sermon. Granted, it was usually inspiring, and worth listening to, but the music just made the service that much better. There are several songs that bring a tear to my eye when ever I hear them. Speaking of religion, when my granpa died back in 1997, our religion is to have a night at the mortuary, see the deceased in an open casket, and spend the evening comforting loved ones and telling the passed one goodbye. The next day is usually the funeral. The funeral starts out with music in the chapel of the funeral home. Our preacher said a prayer, gave a little speech and then we all bowed our heads and prayed. Then we had another song, I played "The Old Rugged Cross" on the trumpet because it was my grandpa's favorite. I still can't play it without crying. Then, once we left the funeral home, and went to the cemetery, I played "Taps" for him. He had served in the military, so it was fitting. I will never be able to play "Taps" again without breaking down. I loved him so much and still miss both my mom's parents, as well as my grandpa on my dad's side, and my aunt and uncle on my dad's side. These are people, that I know are better off now, and are up in Heaven listening to their own sweet music right now!

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting how much certain pieces of music are tied to certain emotions. I think many people have those songs during which they will always cry. If there's a song you haven't heard in a while, it can bring you back to the last place you heard it. It's amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete