Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I had a much better version of this written, and somehow i erased the entire freakin thing!! Ok, so here I go again!
My parents have always taught my sister and I to be individuals, and not go along with things because everyone else does them or likes them. I grew up liking country music (Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Billy Ray Cyrus lol), eighties hair bands (poison, whitesnake, bon jovi, def leppard, guns n roses, aerosmith, and more), and Prince, and Jazz music. I fell in love with Jazz music in junior high when I heard Dizzy Gillespie. He died not long after I discovered him, and when his family sold his updo trumpet, I was mortified. My sister always like David Bowie, New kids on the block, kiss, and others. You can imagine that our tastes in music clashed. Then one day about two years ago my sister was talking about a concert she wanted to go to and needed someone to go with her, and I asked her who it was. She told me it was My Chemical Romance. We couldn't believe it, but this was a group WE BOTH LIKED!! so we went together, and it was the best concert I've ever been to. Now, on to MY KIDS, my oldest son, 10, likes Motley Crue, Poison, Prince and lots of others. All three of my kids have their own MP3 players that they chose what music went on it. My daughter, 8, likes Aqua, because they sing Barbie lol. She also loves Gwenn Stefanie's Holla back girl! lol my youngest son, 5 is the most musical of them all though. He asked (and received) Santa Claus for a keyboard, drums, and a guitar this year. He loves playing all three and he will dance and make up moves for anything you play. My kids are the reason I came back to school. My oldest son found my trumpet laying under my bed and asked me what it was, then asked me to play it for him. This was December of 2007. I came back to school in February 2008. I had not picked up that trumpet since May of 1999. My youngest son sometimes goes to sleep to me practicing at home. Music is and always will be a major part of my family's life.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you erased the first one, I did that too on this entry. Like you and your sister, my sister and I also had clashing tastes in music growing up and recently discovered we are starting to like the same bands. Sharing a love in the same type of music is an amazing bonding experience between anybody, especially sisters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Krystal! Your youngest son sounds a lot like my niece who I bought a keyboard for last year. She's actually one of the three reasons I went into music as my major. I'm amazed at your variety of interests in music. We need to have a listening session!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for musical diversity in the home!! We do not have mucical clashes really at my home except for when someone has been playing the same song for several weeks. However, your family sounds like mine in that you have music in everything. I love how quickly you came from picking your trumpet up after a long time to suddenly comming back in school. This shows how much music can move your soul, world, and life!! Let it move you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blog, Krystal. You know, if your youngest (or any of the others) is interested in actual music lessons, you might try getting a fellow student teacher through the Lawson Academy--it's really cheap (that's how we're getting Tally piano lesson this year).

    As to the erasure, I try to remember and Copy my entry before hitting Post--that way if something goes weird I've still got it saved.

    ReplyDelete